Sunday, November 12, 2017

316 - Gilda, United States, 1946. Dir. Charles Vidor.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

316 - Gilda, United States, 1946.  Dir. Charles Vidor.

Gilda is juicy.


*                              *                              *                              *                              *


All three of us have no pasts, just futures.  Isn't that interesting.

I was down and out.  He picked me up and put me on my feet.
That's the story of my life.

I've always said there's something about Latin men.  For one thing, they can dance.  For another . . . what's your telephone number?

They think you mean it.
Mean what?

Does it bother you that you're married?
What I want to know, does it bother you?

You're to take care of me because I belong to the boss.

You knew him before.
No.  I don't think I've ever known him.

You're a child, Gilda.  A beautiful, greedy child.  And it amuses me to feed you beautiful things because you eat with so good an appetite.

You mean this has been going on for years and I didn't know about it?

One is not always so lucky.
I am.

Only frustrated people soke too much, and only lonely people are frustrated.

The beautiful one is at the bar.  She will probably have trouble.
Your source of income is in his office.  He will also have trouble.

I didn't like the look on the defenseless one's face.

Gilda was right.  You are protective.
Sure.  That's me all over.

Hey, what's the idea?
You'll get used to it.  I've never been able to finish a dance in here.

Did you hear about me?  If I'd been a ranch, they'd've named me the Bar None.

8 left
24 right
2 left
17 right

Women are funny little creatures, Johnny.  Odd things are important to them.

I have the funniest feeling we're not alone.

Besides being pretty, you're positively intelligent.

For a long time, I've taken husband's little by little, in small doses, so now I've developed an immunity to them.

That's great--hitting a man when he's drunk.
H e shouldn't get drunk on my time.

You went to a picture show tonight.  Alone.
Really?  Would you like to know if I enjoyed it?

He didn't just buy you.  He's in love with you.

I take care of everything that belongs to the boss.

I was true to one man once, and look what happened.

Here's the laundry, ready to be picked up.

Where's your bathing suit.
Under this. . . . Wanna see?

Getting married on the rebound is so stupid.
Rebound from what?
You.

I hate you so much that I would destroy myself to take you down with me.

Now that you've delivered me, don't you want to wait and get a receipt from the man?

There are more women in the world than anything else.  Except insects.

This morning he out-distanced me beautifully.  But some day there'll be a rematch.  Then, look out Johnny Farrell.

You'll have to teach me how
How, what?
Swim.  What else? . . . Apparently, you're very good at it.  Did you teach Gilda how to swim, Johnny?
I taught her everything she knows.  Does that satisfy you.

You're fired.
You are mistaken.  I will be here after you're gone, Peasant.

I have the funniest feeling that this is it.

As long as I have my arms around you, I have to keep talking.

You know you sound like a very bad melodrama.

You play for the full stake, or you pass the shoe.
You can't rule the world by passing the shoe, Johnny.

Get your clothes on.  You're getting out of here!

She didn't know that the doors had been closing on her own cage.

I didn't find any agreement.
It was a gentleman's agreement.
I see.  And Mr. Mundsen wasn't a gentleman.

Hello.  Remember me.  I'm Gilda your wife.  Remember?

You haven't been around lately.  I thought maybe you were an amnesia victim or something.

There's never been anybody but you.

You wouldn't think one woman could marry two insane men in one lifetime, now would you?

It's the worst case of a love-hate pattern I've ever had the privilege of witnessing.

Gilda didn't do any of those things you've been losing sleep over.  It was just an act.  I'll give you credit.  You've been a great audience.

Would you like to have a tiny drink of ambrosia, suited only for a goddess?

I thought it amusing to have one of my little friends kill the other.



*                              *                              *                              *                              *

Put the Blame on Mame.

When Mrs. O'Leary's cow kicked the lantern in Chicago town
They say that started the fire that burned Chicago down

That's the story that went around
But here's the real low-down

Put the blame on Mame, boys
Put the blame on Mame

Mame kissed a buyer from out of town
That kiss burned Chicago down

So you can put the blame on Mame, boys
Put the blame on Mame

Remember the blizzard, back in Manhattan in 1886
They say that traffic was tied up and folks were in a fix

That's the story that went around
But here's the real low-down

Put the blame on Mame, boys
Put the blame on Mame

Mame gave a chump such an ice-cold No
For seven days they shoveled snow

So you can put the blame on Mame, boys
Put the blame on Mame


No comments:

Post a Comment